Monday, January 22, 2007

I got it!

I finally got it! What is "it"? A realization that I don't want to be this way anymore. I don't want to be this heavy, unmotivated, tired and FAT!

I am doing something about it, because it is what I want to do. Not to impress anyone else, but because I have had enough. I am working out 3x per week at Curves and following the Curves Weight Management Program. Today is my first day and I have had 16 oz of Dr Pepper (I usually have 90-100 oz per day!) and 56oz of water (16 more to go!). The hardest part is eating so much food! I rarely eat, and when I do, it is junk. Soda, chocolate, crap... the usual. Now I am eating eggs and fruit and veggies and I am doing it! I am so excited! I will succeed!

The other thing I got back this weekend was my passion. I have been missing it so much! I found an organization that is doing amazing things in Henderson and I want to tell everyone I know about it so they can be part of this wonderful opportunity. (No, it's not Amway!) I found the Corps of Compassion. This organization is currently providing food to children at 4 Henderson schools who are on the free breakfast/lunch program and do not get food on the weekends. I had the privledge of handing out backpacks of food to kids at McCaw Elementary on Friday. It was the first day of this program at McCaw and the kids were so greatful! They were so excited to see this bag of food that was all for them! Afterwards, one of the teachers came up to us with tears in her eyes and thanked us for the bags of food.

We have to help this group! As a community, we cannot allow these children to go hungry just because it is the weekend! They need single service size of meals (pasta, vienna sausage, etc), single service size of fruit cups, pudding, breakfast bars, cereal... Do the math; 4 schools, 80 kids at each school; 4 times per month; That's 1280 bags of food each month at about $10 per bag is $12,800 every month. Do I expect you do donate $12k? If you can, fantastic! But no, I know you aren't going to donate $12k. But couldn't you pick up some extras when you go to the store? Or to Costco? How about toothbrushes? Could you ask your dentist to donate 320 toothbrushes? Some of these kids don't have their own.

This weekend I got it, I got purpose again, passion again and self respect again. To me, that sounds like a pretty productive weekend.
They will also need more bags as they add more schools

No comments: